View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

Sfgirl,

I thought quite a bit about this today and I read some more of your threads. You have made some fantastic points. It seems disappointing that kids graduating from high school know everything from how to solve geometry and algebra problems, to how to speak a foreign language, to how to make something in woodshop, but culturally, we mention disappointingly little about alcohol.

I do remember quite a bit of attention being given to drugs and drunk driving, but never to the addictive dangers of alcohol. Couldn’t they say that alcohol could very well cause you to die at about half the age that you should? If someone did stand up in the front of a high school rally or health class and explained the dangers of alcohol, would anyone listen? Especially the way our culture is today?

I remember starting when I was very young. Alcohol was around when I was young, and alcohol addiction has occurred in my ancestors. I don’t see much credence in the semantics that people like to argue about. From my perspective, it all seems like the inability to control when you drink, and how much you drink.

So, promotion of health and prevention of alcoholism are wonderful ideas. I believe that this involves changing the way that our entire culture views alcohol. But that’s not so crazy, right? 70 years ago the United States military gave free cigarettes to anyone serving in the military who wanted them. You can’t even smoke while you are walking down the sidewalk in some cities today.

I believe that you should go ahead and rant. Maybe that’s just what our culture needs is more people pointing out the problems which result from the addiction to alcohol. We sure do seem to have quite a few people in denial on the other side of the argument.

Thank you for remaining an avid reader and a constant inspiration.