Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hevyn
Community Greeter

Welcome Ortho. I certainly see myself in your post. Though the cliches can be tiresome, that doesn't make them untrue. "Alcoholism is a progressive disease" is one I never paid any attention to, until I saw it proven out in my own life. I went from sipping a few to 24/7 100 proof vodka drinking, where I couldn't even get through the night without reaching for a few sips because I'd shake so badly. If we keep playing with it, there'll be no end to the devastation & havoc.

One thing I can promise - you do not need that poison the way you think you do. The first few months off it for me were the most difficult. I was looking at the road ahead as a very long and somber journey. I was filled with resentment. Instead, I've found hope and joy again - emotions that I'd lost years ago - always thinking I'd find them at the bottom of a bottle.

You're already armed with a wealth of knowledge about yourself and this disease. So many never get it. I know two personally who spent their last days still trying to moderate and control their intake. Livers shot, minds turned to mush. This will not be us!