Old 06-23-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
mistycshore

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
Religion is hard for me to really understand sometimes - my parents are Catholics, and I was raised Catholic. I know they are good, loving people. They're not the types who question things a whole lot, so when faced with a question like "What kind of a benevolent God would do things like this?" the best the generally come up with is something along the lines of "God works in mysterious ways. Even if we don't know why he does things, it's good just to know he has a reason, even if it's not one we can understand."
My parents were uber-Catholic (but not until later in life). It was almost impossible to have meaningful conversation with them. I grew up (before they were so bent on the church) with the Time-Life Evolution of Man series and National Geographic and all that. When they got all religious, I couldn't really talk to them anymore. The universe and our own existence no longer held mystery for them. They had all the answers, so I stopped asking questions - and just smiled and nodded a lot.

Besides not liking their answers, I like the mystery. I trust it in a way that I could never trust religion.