Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gowest

I have a wonderful "recovered/ing A" in my life

There was a lot of negativity today on the forum. There was also a lot of lumping every one into one basket - "all" Alcoholics are x,y,z.

I hate stereotyping of any kind. It is never productive.

I have always loved my uncle's second wife. Generationally she is between my mom/uncle and myself. She is a really interesting person and I was thrilled when she joined the family about 16 years ago. We had daughters a year apart. I even started to "like" my uncle more. Never really liked him but I so respected my new aunt that I decided if she loved him enough to marry him he couldn't be all that bad.

My aunt is an art historian, ceramist, teacher, wife and mother. When you host a family occasion she always brings something to eat and then asks how she can help when she arrives. She also is actually helpful because she listens and does what you ask instead of what she thinks you need. We laugh together and we swap stories about raising teenage girls. She is one of the most thoughtful, kind and least selfish people I know. I look up to her in a million different ways and trust her advice.

About 6 months ago we were having lunch and I was sharing with her about my involvement in Alanon. I don't know why I told her, it just felt "right".

She turned to me and said that she was an alcoholic and had been in AA and sober for 23 years. I was so surprised.

We had the most wonderful talk about the programs, sponsorship, life, meetings, and our HPs. I now know that she never misses her Thursday night meeting. I am the only other family member besides her husband and daughter that is aware of this information. It has given our relationship new depth.

She is to me, a shining example of how it can work if you work it.
I feel blessed to have her in my life and as a part of my family.