Old 06-21-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TrainWreckAgain

Welcome

Welcome to the group.

My significant other entered rehab 11 weeks ago. It has been a very tough road for her. As badly as I want to "make her get better" I have come to understand that it is up to her and God. As someone said in an earlier reply, "I didn't create it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it."

I only joined a week or so ago and have learned a great deal by reading the posts of others here. I have learned about the nature of the disease. And most importantly, I have begun to learn about myself.

Like you, I have a fairly well developed set of co-dependent behaviors. The book, Co-dependent No More has started to help. I found that the first time I read it, I read it too fast. Someone coached me to read it very slowly. Only 10 pages a day or so. I have started that approach, being sure I have time to reflect on what I am reading.

I have found that going to Al Anon has been very helpful as well. I go to about 4 meetings a week right now. To borrow a phrase from a song, it is "my daily dose of reality."

It sounds like you are off to a great start. Take care of yourself, and as hard as it is, focus on yourself and your child, and not on your wife.

Happy Father's Day.... to you and all of the fathers on this site.