View Single Post
Old 06-20-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by mentallyexh View Post
claimed they told him he wasn't really an alcoholic .....

He has tried to quit several times....always to slowly go back....

He is not attending and program just quitting cuz, "He can control it."
So he doesn't believe he is "really" an alcoholic because he controls it. For a period of time, he controls it. Then he goes back. It's called alcoholism. And his denial is a large part of what oils the cogs that keep that addiction machine in motion.

He's self-centered, self-centered, and expects you to meet his expectations. That's what the disease is about. It's YOUR fault. It's YOUR problem. It's YOUR failure as a wife. Blah, blah, blah ... B-U-L-L.

I spent about four years trying to figure out my AH: "Why did he do that?" "Why did he say that then do something completely different?" "What did he mean when he said that to me?" "What did I do to make him so angry?" I discovered this was a total waste of my precious time, AND it also kept the focus off of the real bottom line: "What the heck is wrong with me?"

Then I got seriously into counseling and Al-Anon. I do not figure into the equation of my AH's disease. I found that having expectations of him acting like a "normie" was hurting me; not him.

Being manipulated and disrespected is something you do not deserve. Consider taking the opportunity to find out why you've arrived where you are today in your relationship.