Old 06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
johnboy1978

Introduction: John, husband of alcoholic currently in rehab

Good evening (or morning depending on where you are).

I have been married for close to 4 years, and my wife is an alcoholic. She can be the sweetest, most helpful person when sober, but an absolute nightmare when not. We have a 2 1/2 year old son together who is an absolute joy.

My wife has attempted sobriety on her own and with AA multiple times, and has relapsed each time. She has not had luck finding a good sponsor, the first one dumped her after one missed phone call, the second told her that she wasn't really an alcoholic because she hadn't cheated on me or lost her home. She is the type who cannot stop drinking once she starts until she is literally passed out and hates that she is that way.

Last Sunday morning, after the latest relapse, she told me she needed to be admitted into intense residential rehabilitation to learn how to fight this disease; she was admitted on Tuesday morning. It has been extremely difficult and relieving at the same time; it's amazing how much I've been able to get done around the house. I had a major breakdown yesterday, but was able to make it home from the office without wrecking from the fact I was having trouble seeing. My son has been doing okay with missing mommy, but tonight had a total meltdown; we were able to talk and cuddle, and he fell asleep shortly thereafter.

I am going to start attending al-anon groups this week, and am getting set up with a therapist who hopefully will be able to help me work through my co-dependent nature into a more healthy and helpful partner.

I am curious as to if anyone has had a significant other who has done well after rehab, and what you and they did, as well as what overall people's opinions are of rehab. I am completely lost as I don't know what to expect, I don't totally understand what even I am supposed to be doing and what she is supposed to do. Any advice, experience, etc. is appreciated.