Old 06-18-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
I greatly admire the Quakers. They as a group have historically made a great many sacrifices in the name of peace and should be honored by us all.
This makes me feel like some sort of monk. The truth is, as much as Quakers want to work for peace, from what I have seen they (the groups I have been around lately) have adopted a smug sense of superiority regarding their pacifism. They have the same "We're the good guys, we're right. You're wrong and you're bad," attitude that was adopted most recently by the Bush administration (and is adopted by any administration during a war, Democrat or Republican. I think it's only a matter of time for Obama's crew, if it's not already started). It's the same mindset that starts wars, continues them, and does not allow progress toward peace. To see it in a peace church is disturbing and a major reason I stopped attending Quaker meeting and withdrew my membership from the meeting I grew up in. I hope Quakers can get past the idea that they have all the answers because they don't and they were much more effective when they were willing to listen and acknowledge that they might not be right.

Originally Posted by Daisy09 View Post
Ghandi created the only proactive word for non-violence: satyagraha. According to him, the translation is "holding on to truth", or "truth force". Ghandi wrote, "Nonviolence is a perfect stage. It is a goal towards which all mankind moves naturally, though unconciously." He believed that it is the work towards this unattainable goal that matters, which is pretty much what you were told.
That Ghandi guy knew his stuff.