View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

.I am trying to use the correct terms and am new to all of this
Welcome

I would have a look around, read all of the "stickies" and read the "classic reading" and I would look for older threads with "AH decided to stop drinking"

You would note one thing they all have in common, the folks who "decide" to stop drinking, especially without a program of recovery.

None of them stopped drinking.

Then my thought process would go something like this.

I have a husband that drinks. His drinking affects me.

Where can I go to find recovery?

That would be therapy and Alanon.

The only recovery you need to worry about is your own whether he quits drinking or not, and not drinking for 24 hours isn't "recovery", it's "going on the wagon for a day or two to get the heat off."

The "stories" should start within the next 48 hours, actually, truthfully they already have :

My AH had told me he is quitting, at first he said he could drink bee(r) and would be fine until the other day he had 6 in the evening.

after saying it was really only 2 because he poured them in big glasses....

having been only 24 hours ago he seems very tired, irritated and frustrated already....

I am afraid he is quitting for me, not really that he thinks he needs too -

He is doing it alone - no rehab nothing?
You are playing "your part" in this "dance as well, best thing you can do is get off the roller coaster, best way to learn how to do that is through therapy and al-anon.

This is ultimately about how YOU feel, not his drinking, the best way I know to change the way I feel is change the way I think, the best (only) to do that is through action such as taking care of myself by attending meetings, getting a sponsor, going to therapy etc.