View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KariSue

Originally Posted by Faith444 View Post
omg I have those thoughts too... about EVIL. paralyzing. i ask my hp, why does EVIL always win? why does such a good person as my partner suffer from such a terrible disease? why did she have to be molested as a child? how come good people suffer and die? i think about all the tradgedies and injustices and i wonder what is the point of submitting to a hp- who is this hp- what is the point of all this? will one moment of love make up for all of it? i don't get it. i was raised very religiously and although i do not identify now with any religion, god, or my hp, is the most important concept or "thing" to me.... i dont' know how to accept this world and what is happening. i'm sorry this isn't an encouraging post... but i need help with this. anyone who can relate and who has found some answer ... or way to reconcile... please write.
I'm not sure if I should give my thoughts on this one as it may belong on the Secular Connection section of this forum. I was raised with religion but have been an atheist for about 30 years.

I don't think it matters whether there is a God or HP or not. That one believes there is, is the comforting part, in my humble opinion. While I don't believe in a HP I can understand it would be a comfort for those who believe. It was for me when I believed.

BUT, if it doesn't comfort you (like it doesn't me) then you need to decide what you feel about that. I don't really feel we have a purpose as humans per se. Just like an animal, we live, we die and we deal with what happens in between. I feel like since we're here then I choose to believe that we are here for each other. I don't look for help from a HP. People as a group or individually are my comfort. Look how much comfort there is here on this forum, for example. These PEOPLE are helping me not a HP (in my opinion).

The bad things? They are just things. It seems some people get a lot more of the bad things than others. I'm not sure why. I suppose some are choices we make and some are just pure dumb luck. I just try to deal with things the best I can as they come up. What else can I do? I guess I almost don't see the need to explain the unexplainable. I mean I'm as curious as the next person but I doubt there is really a grand scheme to things. Just some thoughts...... Not sure if it makes sense to you or not.

I think you just have to accept what is happening no matter WHY it's happening. I guess it is kind of ironic for me to say this but the Serenity prayer pretty much sums it all up. Change what you can, accept that you can't change some things and have the wisdom to know the difference or something like that..... (I'm not supposed to remember it word for word, I'm an atheist :rotfxko)

KariSue