View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
GiveLove

I don't any more, but I used to. In fact, I was world-class.

But I no longer believe that there's somebody picking and choosing who has a good life and who doesn't. I can easily connect almost everything that goes wrong in my life with some choice I made somewhere along the line. Something I could've done -- and next time WILL do -- differently, whether it's not replacing my aging car radiator, bringing on health problems by gaining too much weight, or allowing toxic people in my life. I try really hard to fix them, step by painful step, so they don't come back to bite me again.

Then there are things like dumb luck...a friend was walking on the sidewalk and was hit by a bicyclist. Stuff like that. Still, "why me" seems kinda pointless. It just...you know...happened.

So when people look at me and think my life looks great from the outside, and think it's because I'm "lucky", it's because they don't see the hard work I'm doing to fix each thing as it arises, and learn from it, and stay balanced and happy. I feel a little discounted.

That said, I personally love going into "Whiner's Anonymous" in the newcomers area and just reading people feeling better by getting it off their chests. Even just reading their rules gives me a smile: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2253166 It's funny and sad and empowering all at the same time....but mostly funny