Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Will's CBA (cost benefit analysis)

What I enjoyed about using alcohol/drugs:
  • That mind blowing high.
  • Feeling invincible and all knowing. LOL
  • I don’t like to admit it: manipulating others with drugs for sex.
  • The fast and crazy life style.
  • My identity as an atheist anarchist outsider.(I thought I was crankster gangster but in reality I was a tweekster geekster.)
  • My complete ease with social situation; night clubs, concerts, what the hell, everywhere people gather.
  • I actually liked that sucked up, speed freak appearance of being slim.
  • The ability to work 72 hours non-stop on my art projects, cleaning my small rental or buffing and polishing the ball bearings and race on my bicycle wheel hub assembly.
  • The belief that I was a highly talented but widely misunderstood and undiscovered artist. LOL.
The downside about using alcohol/drugs: (To put it lightly)
  • Damages my self-worth. (I would feel like a total waste of human flesh.)
  • My psych meds were turned to mush and rendered useless.
  • Delusional. (Meth/alcohol madness.)
  • Exaggerates/exacerbates my depression, anxiety, ADD and personality disorder (SMB) & (my often fluxing personality would drive people away).
  • Grain/body tissue damage and poor nutrition, yea jacked-up.
  • A-motivational. (when I ran out of dope, I had to absolutely struggle to go anywhere, except to the dealer of course).
  • Faulty decision making.
  • Alienates family/friends: (Just totally **** off people with my outrageous behavior.)
  • Guilt, embarrassment, remorse and shame. (repeat the same dumb mistakes over and over.)
  • Work performance suffers or job termination.
  • Obsessive thinking about next use of AOD. (Fiendishly craving for more dope.)
  • Cost prohibitive. (I was perpetually broke.)
  • Withdraw/detox. (the anxiety and depression was dreadfully excruciating.)
  • Criminal behavior.
  • Dangerous associations with criminals.
  • Incarceration in jails or psych wards. (WAFWOT that was!)
  • Homelessness.
  • Risk of contracting hepatitis C, AIDS and STDs.(how did I miss that stuff??)
All the stuff I am enjoying and hope to benefit from by being clean and sober.
  • Psych meds are working great.
  • Building better self-efficiency .
  • Better health both psyche/soma.
  • A mostly semi-stable life style.
  • Good (at least endurable) relationships with family/friends.
  • I am learning to manage my emotions (through REBT/CBT tools, Zazen, and Buddhism and more along those lines) and motivate myself.
  • I can budget my money: maintain rent, car, and have money for fun stuff.
  • I could do some volunteer work at the Hospital & Animal Shelter. ( 8th & 9th Step?) LOL
  • I could return to college and complete the Addictions Disorders Studies / A.S. degree I started.
  • I’m currently attending support groups, visiting a therapist and psychiatrist at the Mental Health Department.
  • I am developing sober friendships, going to sober dinners and dances at a local Alano Club.
  • Currently forming a healthy and respectful relationship with a wonderful woman.
    Practicing safe sex. (yea ; Having sex)
  • Staying out of lock-up facilities.
  • Looking into a hobby. (Hobby Rocketry sounds like fun to do again).
  • I have become political / environmentally active.
  • Attending a weekly art group.
  • Started to have fun with art projects and funky crafts again.

Things I might miss because of not using AOD
  • I do say I miss the unrealistic high I got from drugs. (Yet, I don’t miss the horrid disabling come down). Maybe take up street luge for the adrenaline rush.
  • Ease with social interactions. ( I’m learning stress reduction and desensitization techniques to deal with that.)
  • Being thin. (I can diet and exercise.)
  • My identity as atheist anarchist outsider. (I can still be an atheist anarchist outsider and be clean and sober. The good news is: I don’t have to throw me away to find a renewed me).