View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Shellslove
Friend

I was literally sitting here picking away at this one spot on my face that's scabed/rescabed for months now, when I came ax your post. I used to have this beautiful skin, only a blemish or two. For a few yrs now, I find myself not being able to control the urge to pick....i have embarassing scars (on my body too.) It started with a couple places on my body that I would pick and pick at...places that were covered and no one could see. Since I've started with my face, it's become impossible to stop. SOmeone described it well on a post here (search trichotillomania) - I'll be sitting at my desk working or whatever and sort of 'trance out' - next thing I know 15 mins have passed and I was picking at my face the whole time. It happens most when I'm stressed or not getting enough sleep. I also rub at certain spots of my hair, I guess more like my scalp, obsessively (I don't pull it out, it's difficult to explain) It sounds so odd after reading this, but it's comforting to me. I feel this wave of relief. I've tried the fake nail tips....they drove me INSANE. I would get SEVERE anxiety from not being able to pick at my face. I suppose if I stuck it out I could've gotten over the hump -- but I wussed out and got them taken off. What's your experience like? when did it start for you?