View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I don't know...i guess i can see both sides...i usually work within the diseaase concept...

bottom line is i really don't care what others call it, and i just have an idea in my mind of what i think i'm dealing with that makes since to me.

choice and responsibility are two different issues for me....I am responsible regardless of wether or not i have a choice...

focusing on the misapplications of how others use concepts and words is only helpful to me if it is done in order to understand what i believe.

i think it is really good to put some thought into how you see this aclhohoism/addiction stuff and sorting out how to find your path through it all
Thanks, ananda. I guess whatever works for someone is whatever works. But it really is important to recovery. If I believe I have something over which I make a choice, then I am not powerless. Ok, that eliminates one recovery path. So it is important to me. Also, I hate to think of myself as "diseased." Now, I do have asthma (and smoke - stupid!) and that is a chronic disease. I have to take medication for this in order to live. Disease. Not so with alcohol. All I have to do is to not drink it to live. Huge distinction. I guess I think all of this is an important distinction.