View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Shellslove
Friend

Belle - this is totally just my opinion, but have you thought about talking to the addiction dr about talking subutex during the remainder of your pregnancy? I know you've had problems with it before - but right now, you're thinking for two - maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea. I am in a NA type group and there are a couple of pregnant women on a low dose of subutex. This is another benefits outweight the risks thing, of course. Basically, as my doctor explained, worst case scenario - you are abusing opiates during pregnancy. Then, when baby is born - s/he is also dependent. It's not really safe to go c/t though, b/c that could have dramatic effects on your health, and risk baby's health. Methadone is a difficult medication to wean newborns off of - and apparently, subutex is the better option (better than suboxone too, which has the added opiate blocker.) He says it's an easier detox for baby. Now this is just ONE doctor's opinion, and the opinion is obviously specific to these particular women. I don't know how far along you are...and if you've been able to stop the opiates altogether at this point, clearly you don't want to go back to subutex if you can stay off the opiates for the rest of your pregnancy. Just sharing so ES&H