View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Shellslove
Friend

Belle - I would def. question your doctor about this. I've taken Fioricet for my killer migraines. It worked somewhat, but it was nasty stuff...and gave me rebound headaches (as of course, I overused.) Fioricet is not an opiate-based medication - it basically contains a barbituate, tylenol, and caffeine (not to be confused with Fiourinal (sp?) which DOES have coedine or another opiate in it I believe.) Barbituates are downers and can def. be physically and mentally addictive. To be honest, I never felt a 'high' off them - but b/c I knew it was possible, I took more than rx'ed. You have to watch it with the acetaminophen, as you know taking too much could do a number on your liver (and I'd assume, baby.) Also, the caffeine is probably not a great idea during pregnancy (especially if you have high blood pressure) - though it generally helps headaches. See the descrip below. Looks like this medication is FDA class C - meaning it's unknown whether it would harm a fetus. That doesn't seem like any type of assurance to me! Sure, if migraines are killer, the dr might rx these meds during pregnancy if s/he feel the benefits outweigh the risks....but even if you just need the caffeine - I'd stick with Excedrin! (IMHO)

Courtesy of drugs.com:

Fioricet contains a combination of acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine. Acetaminophen is a pain reliever and fever reducer. Butalbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates. It relaxes muscle contractions involved in a tension headache.

Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant. It relaxes muscle contractions in blood vessels to improve blood flow. Fioricet is used to treat tension headaches that are caused by muscle contractions. Fioricet may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether Fioricet is harmful to an unborn baby. Before taking Fioricet, tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Acetaminophen, butalbital, and caffeine can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use Fioricet without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.