Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
barblsn

"Just remind your daughter that the stay is only temporary and she never has to go back there again...good luck to you and her"

well, if she stays clean....

OK...
1) I have never worked in a rehab
2) Like anything else, there is good and there is bad. Being licensed doesn't mean good.

That said: I have worked as an addiction and mental health counselor for children, teens and adults. It is very difficult focusing on the child/teen without the parents interference. Yes. Interference. Treatment works when the patient gets an interpersonal experience he's never had before. Remember, he's in treatment for a reason, and all the things that he and his parents have tried in the past HAVE NOT WORKED. So it's time for something different. And that different experience could be 100 percent honestly all the time,("If you keep using needles you could get AIDS)" confronting the manipulations and rationalizations (and something as simple as wanting to call home can be a manipulation). , having a safe place to talk about your feelings about yourself, bad things that have been done to you, or are BEING done to you now, without a negative consequence.

It's hard for parents. We see our kids hurt and we want to make it better. But we havent' been making it better, so we go to someone else to help. Unless you think your child is being abused, and if you do get her out of there...my advice is to step back and let them do their work.