Thread: SMART Recovery
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Aysha
Looking For Myself...Sober

Originally Posted by siamcat View Post
Much lesser extent, unfortunately, ahem...

Smart is actually an outgrowth of RR, the split came over nonprofit, profit status.

Smart does really address the WHOLE issue behind recovery, the idea being that we don't have to be 'recovering' for the rest of our lives. Many people 'graduate' from Smart and, if they keep using the tools they learned, sustain sobriety and live a much healthier and happier life. Thing about the Smart tools is you can use them for anything in your life, not only your drinking, lots of people use the 'ABC' or 'CBA' worksheets for relationship problems, daily upsets, dealing with catastrophies, accidents, injuries, mental issues, they can be used for almost anything, so, it's really a complete and comprehensive system for addressing the biggest problems in our lives. But, yes, it IS work, there is no 'surrendering' to any power there except to your own will and intellect and PRACTICE. You get out of it what you put in, and that's that. Be ready though, the meetings are interactive, you actually do WORK, not just tell old war stories about drinking, you address the situation and get feedback and input. You'll walk out of there feeling like you've really accomplished something though, I guarantee it. Good luck!
I started SMART about a yr and a half ago. I only did it for a couple months. But I really didnt get too involvd like I should have for it to work. I basiclly went to the meetings and thought that would be all I needed. Well i was wrong. I wasnt serious about my recovery back then anyway.

I recently just started it again. And this time I am reading everything I can. And I am starting from the beginning. I even went to my 1st meeting last night which happened to be an ontroduction meeting. How lucky was that?
I got alot of info and by taking the time and actually doin some research and work. I found so much much stuff for a beginner to read. To learn about it and how it works.
I quoted this post because I read that exact thing last night.
I am very interested in buying some publishcaqtions and cd's they have. And using the message boards and just doing some homework with the program this time. Instead of just meetings and thinking thats all it is. Meetings are just like support and Q and A for the actual program to me.
The real results come from reading and working all the stuff they have to offer.

the meetings are interactive, you actually do WORK, not just tell old war stories about drinking, you address the situation and get feedback and input.
This was the single most thing that really got me interested in SMART to begin with. The ,eetings are like you can converse with people and not just talk to yourself like in 12 step.
Yea..And no war stories. The program even says the past is the past. There is nothing there to help you move forward. I agree. Whats done is done.
I could go on forever how much I like this program.
I ahve never felt such an understanding with any other one I have tried. I just get this one. No confusing steps and trying to figure out what the hell your goin to have to be your HP. I am my HP. I have always believed it was my choice to go this path of addiction. I knew what I was doing everytime I used. I never once ever said or thought I did it becasue I am sick or I couldnt help it. Thats just BS to me. I take 100% full responsibility for everything that has happened in my addiciton. So I know and totally believe that the same goes for my recovery. I like the whole..You dont need to obsess about this program either. I have said that so many times. I dont want to be a slave to my recovery too.
And SMART even sayd that it doesnt have to be a life long commitment unless you want it to be.
I just love this program.I have gotten real passionate about it since I started working it again.
I havent fet this motivated and ready in a long time.
Sry for rambling.