View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
OceanBound

Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
Thanks to every single person who replied to this thread. I still feel lost, but I appreciate the support. I have therapy tomorrow and I have no idea what I'm going to say. I still don't know what I'm going to do.
Well, then tell the therapist what you've told us. That you think therapy is not working and you are thinking of ending it. That you hate yourself and don't know how to change. That you don't see a point in continuing to live like this.

And then ask your therapist to come up with a plan. What to do to change your attitude about things and most importantly yourself. You need practice exercises, you need reading or whatever else the therapist suggests. You don't snap out of severe depression. And it IS hard work to learn to love yourself. And nobody would do it for you. But if you want a chance at a normal life, you need to want to try. Don't leave the therapist's office without a plan. If you want results, you can't be passive in therapy. Better therapists would push you if you are passive but ultimately it's your responsibility and right to get what you need out of that relationship.

Therapy is really learning to respond with a "normal" reaction to life situations. Depression robs you of seeing things for what they are. Instead, you feel out of control and blame yourself for everything. You were given a lot of good examples above how to change thinking. That's what therapy should teach you. I feel it's too early for you to do it yourself. You need somebody to guide you to change your thinking. On the plus side, severe depression is one of the most treatable conditions, well, at least the severe part is very treatable.

Good luck and keep us posted!