Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post
Katie,

You’re right, I’m not a doctor.

Warren Buffett has a saying: Never ask the barber if you need a haircut.

So, the skeptic in me looks at the intensive outpatient recovery program you are in (they get paid), the psychiatrist you are seeing (he gets paid), and the pills you are taking (a product for sale, and you are buying it.)

Your psychiatrist has a conflict of interest. The more problems you have, the longer they continue, the more the money just rolls on in. It’s like an auto mechanic who might be motivated to cause more problems than he fixes so you will keep coming back.

You’re right, I’m not a doctor, but I’ll bet if you asked your doctor if you should be smoking and drinking while using “two anti-psychotics, an anti-depressant, a mood stablizer, and anti anxiety agent” I know what his answer would be.

Humans have lived on this planet for what is presumed to be millions of years, and somehow, as a species, we have managed to survive without alcohol, cigarettes, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Lithium, cocaine, meth, or whatever other chemicals we thoughtlessly ingest in the name of filtering out all of our pesky feelings.

What if our emotions weren’t meant to be filtered? What if they are a survival mechanism? What if they evolved as an inner voice?

Are you angry? Are you sad? Are you anxious? Do you have an attention deficit? Do you obsess about things?

Perhaps the answer is not to get so jacked up on pills that you can’t remember your middle name.

Maybe you need to ask yourself “self, why am I feeling this way?” Maybe the answer is a map, a plan, a path. Maybe our feelings are fuel. Energy. Motivation.

When you are angry, whom are you looking out for?

Have you ever been depressed and decided to give yourself permission to make yourself happy?

Has anxiety ever inspired you to get out of a situation? Did it make your life better or worse?

Have you ever had times where being distracted seemed to make you more aware of extremely complex events going on around you? Should hunters remain vigilant of new distractions?

Have you ever obsessed about a topic or field of interest, hygiene, fitness, or cleanliness of your home, and found that said obsession made your life much better?

I’m not a doctor, but doctors don’t know everything. Mutual admiration isn’t the only thing that sets us apart from the animals.
Freepath, as always you say such *big* things and I always have to think about them. I'd do you short shrift to respond now and I won't. I will think about what you've said and give you an answer worthy of all the time you put into your post. I just wanted to say thank you and I will be responding.