View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

I would be shocked if anyone could provide an alcohol related medical explanation for why only one foot is swelling. It seems to me that this is something else; perhaps something urgent, and you should see a doctor.

The symptoms that I had while drinking too much were mostly gastrointestinal. It was a really good time.

Brain symptoms:

Delirium tremens is a problem where 2-10 days after you stop drinking, you become extremely confused.
Korsakoff's syndrome has symptoms of a loss of memory and confusion. This is due to vitamin B deficiency and anemia.
Marchiafava-Bignami disease affects the outer lining of the nerve cells in the brain and the rest of the body. Symptoms can include loss of coordination, chronic tremor, seizures, and coma.
High blood alcohol concentrations can weaken the blood vessels in the brain which can cause the vessels to scar down causing obstruction of blood flow (ischemic stroke) or the blood vessels in the brain can weaken, an aneurysm can form, and intracranial bleeding can occur (hemorrhagic stroke).

Gut symptoms:

Liver injury occurs after just one drink, so you can imagine what chronic drinking over years of time does to your liver. It gets fatty, it scars up, eventually it does not clear toxins from your body. Since the liver produces clot factors, many people in liver failure die because they spontaneously bleed to death. The food in the intestines is taken to the liver through the portal vein. With liver damage comes portal vein hypertension, a condition where all of the veins which drain into the portal vein become enlarged and the blood becomes static. The veins die, and in many instances, these become sources of gastrointestinal bleeding. Thus, the stomach and the esophagus also can be damaged from chronic drinking.
Pancreatic injury occurs because the alcohol can directly flow backward through the biliary duct and pancreatic duct to the pancreas. Inflammation of the pancreas can occur, and recurrent inflammation of the pancreas can cause pancreatic damage and diabetes.
All gastrointestinal problems caused by drinking can eventually end in cancer.

Heart symptoms:

High blood pressure, atherosclerosis, stroke and heart failure can all occur from chronic drinking.

All of the above can kill you.

Some other problems which will not kill you include skin damage and a decreased sex drive.

You want to quit, you are trying to quit and you are seeking support. I don't think that any alcohol addiction is hopeless; I think the more that you focus on your own reasons why, and the more that you try, and the more help you get from other people, eventually you will succeed.