Old 05-20-2009, 08:06 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
RobinsFly

Originally Posted by Ago View Post
That's when it comes down to who you choose to be involved in a relationship with. An insane person who lives in lala land, or somebody who is prepared to work on themselves, by themselves, for themselves.

They are both "realities" it's just one is attractive and the other makes you insane.

So, for me, personally, I at this point in time, will only get involved with someone who has a proven track record of working on themself to begin with. Not "work on themself" to make me happy, or to "save the relationship" but because they are truly interested in being a better person and getting healthy for themselves.

Personally, I am working on myself right now, and it has nothing to do with whether I am in a relationship or not. I will not either work on myself for a relationship, nor will I ever ask someone else to "work on themselves" for a relationship. I do what I do for me, and rather then trying to change the person I am with, I will watch what they do and make a decision on whether to stay or go based on their actions. I won't stay with someone based on their potential or who they could be, I try to make my decisions based on who they are, not on who I want them to be.
Some powerful reminders here. This, my friend, is why I come back to this board.
I need to let go of some things....
Mainly, imagining his potential IF he decided to enter recovery and do lots of inner work.

And, i think you're right about the reality-thing. For him, what he is doing is enough. He believes it. He has no interest in support groups, or psychotherapy, or plowing through books.
Question is, is this the reality I want to live with?

My view is not "right" and his is "wrong". But living w/ his viewpoint might drive me insane.