Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
KariSue

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
I recently heard about that book Kari. Thanks for the post as I would like to read it.

I read a review in the paper over the weekend re: Addiction: A Disorder of Choice by Gene M. Heyman. Heyman is a Harvard Psychologist who argues that addiction isn't really an illness, infuriating many in the medical community.

For example, he talks about there being a genetic predisposition, while not discounting that as a theory he offers however that it doesn't mean addicts drug or alcohol use is not a voluntary behaviour. Are addicts self destructive? He answered, yes, but this doesn't mean that they do not respond to the costs and benefits associated with their decisions, even when addiction has changed their brains.

It also caught my attention as a must read. There is so much research currently being done in the area of addiction. Since we are living in the 21st Century, I like to avail of the newest, latest research findings. I like to be able to collect all the information that is going around. maybe the answers to this is a combination of separate studies. I believe we are on our way and will get there sooner than later. Makes the program of AA seem more and more ridiculous to me everyday. (I can say this here, can't I?)
I'd like to read that one too.

I see down this thread that someone found out where to get a copy so I'll check into it.

Kari