View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

I am an atheist. I have struggled with depression.

I have a hard time believing that theists believe the ideologies that they cling to. When is the last time you looked at a Christian and thought “wow they sure don’t behave like someone who embraces the Christian faith…” They do not appear to adhere to it’s tenets.

So why do they believe? Or should I ask why do they claim to believe? In my opinion because it fills a void. Because they feel like a part of the organization or part of a human collective. Even if they feel like no one in this world loves them, God does. That is very important for inner purpose and fulfillment.

Religion is comfortable. It makes people feel okay when everything is not okay.

It seems to me that depression fits perfectly with atheism. You don’t see things the way that they should be, you don’t see things the way you want them to be. You simply begin to see things the way they are.

And how are things? How are you?

What do you say? Well, I’m good. I’m fine.

Sick to damn death of this freak show of mutual admiration do nothings and couldn’t give a crap do nothings. Death could come and I could give a sh*t, it would be a refreshing change from fighting every single day to get one small thing accomplished in the name of making anything better or anyone care.

How about the divorce rate? Isn’t that fine? How about our government and our banks… Oh those are good. And all the people who are unemployed? Doing great, how about you? And all the genocide, and war, and terrorism and rape and slavery and serial killings and suicides and school shootings? Terrific!

Well, look on the bright side, you still haven’t caught swine flu.

Folks who think that depression and fear occur at the same time have not been depressed the way I have been depressed. What could there be to feel fearful about? Another carnival clown Cretin with pointless expectations? A Bengal tiger? Eternal damnation?

Bring it. At times I could care less, I wouldn’t feel like anything was getting worse.

Maybe you’re an atheist and depressed because you are paying attention. Maybe the truth just doesn’t feel right. Maybe all of the people who are positive thinkers are just kidding themselves. Maybe they aren’t as informed about all of the evil, messed up things in this world.

Addicts and drunks make dumb decisions. I think that at least some part of dealing with depression is trying to put happy moments into life, and making decisions that are not clouded by the fog of alcoholism or drug addiction enhances our ability to make decisions which lead to happy moments, in my opinion.

Last edited by Freepath; 05-16-2009 at 12:26 AM. Reason: booger on the screen