View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marlie

I Keep Expecting Failure

So, as many know my daughter is home after a self-requested rehab and a stay in an SLE. She is 19. She has a job and will go to school in the Fall.

The problem is that I expect her to relapse. I have a friend who is a RA who talks about slipping. Does that mean use and then not again, jumping right back into a program of recovery? I understand that if my daughter were not active in recovery, not trying, using, not attending meetings, not trying to recover that she would no longer be allowed in my home (although, it is so hard to ask someone 19 to leave), but what if it is a slip and afterwards actively tries to recover and work a program of recovery?

I see so many steps forward. She is working, going to a Junior College, hanging with friends who aren't using, etc. I see so much progress, so many steps forward. What if she takes many steps forward and one backwards? Do I then kick her out of the home and then she no longer has the opportunity for college?

I know that many of you have children and read that many of these children don't want to seek treatment. But what do I do with one who has admitted her problem, checked herself into treatment, but falters?