View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

Mood disorders and addiction

I have noticed people reporting mood disturbances in these forums, and there was also some talk about starting a new recovery movement, and some discussion about happiness. I uncovered some information about the science of addiction, mood disorders and brain chemistry, and I thought others might be as surprised by this information as I was.

For years, research studies have linked chronic mood disorders such as anger, anxiety, depression, impulsive behavior , and restlessness, to imbalances in the function of neurotransmitters.

The genetic basis for addictive behavior is also believed to involve neurotransmitters. This is why a person feels “high” sensations of euphoria, confidence and serenity when they drink alcohol, use opiates, meth, cocaine, or even smoke cigarettes.

In the 1980’s, a pharmaceutical company came out with a medication that was supposed to be an experimental drug aimed at treating depression. Many, many of the subjects reported that while they were on this drug, they decided to stop smoking. The drug has since been renamed (Zyban) and is now indicated for nicotine addiction. Zyban releases neurotransmitters.

We really are medicating ourselves when we drink or use. An imbalance in GABA, serotonin, dopamine or norepinephrine causes mood disorders, and when we drink or use, we correct the imbalance.

So when we quit, we possibly leave ourselves vulnerable to severe mood disorders, and psychiatric disorders.

Since drug and alcohol use disrupts the balance of these neurotransmitters, long term use may result in mood disorders or psychiatric illness, even if we did not have a problem before we became addicted.

Believe it or not, psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is believed to be just as effective in treating these imbalances as drugs, when diligently pursued.

Further, researchers point to the benefit of regular aerobic exercise, meditation, yoga and TaiChi for restoring brain chemistry balance.