View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Yeah. California shipped a bunch of inmates to Oklahoma... and our prisons were already overcrowded.

I've never been to jail or prison. But based on people I know who have, drugs are often fairly available, if the grape vine is to be believed. Of course, your first few days you wouldn't have many connections and detox would suck. But hey, once they are locked up they have to be taken care of. It's one of the costs of running a prison system, and as a society we have accepted that it is better to lock them up and pay for health care than have a bunch of convicted miscreants walking free. (You'll just have to watch out for the unconvicted miscreants... like me! Haha).

Morning Glory alluded to poor medical care in her post. Denying proper medical attention to an inmate, as I see it, amounts to the jailer practicing medicine without a medical license. So IF the person in question tells the cops, "Hey, I'm high as a kite and addicted to [DOC]. I need to detox," he should get a medical detox. But how many inmates tell the jailer they are on illegal drugs? Sounds like a good way to get a few more charges added.

Fun side-note: My mom had a friend who had to serve 30 days in jail for a DUI. He was wheelchair bound. The county jail was not ADA-compliant. The court had to delay his sentence for 6 months while the jail remodeled for a wheelchair-accessible cell, complete with toilet and shower facilities. It cost the county about $15K. Really, wouldn't it have been easier to give the guy probation?