View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

Yet, I keep wanting to wade a bit. I can drink like a pint a beer and stop without too much difficulty, although it seems to give me anxiety much of the time.
I have met people who drink moderately. Many of them say the same type of thing; typically they drink one glass of wine with dinner or one cocktail at cocktail hour.
I tried drinking in moderation. The trouble that I had was that I liked to drink and I liked to smoke pot. I liked these things because of the effect. They gave me pleasure. So, once in a while I would drink, stop at one, then tell myself:
“See? I can drink in moderation and live a normal life.”
I might be able to drink moderately for a week or a month or a year, but the end result of moderate drinking was always the same: a shift to heavy drinking.
I don’t meet too many people who drink in moderation. People sit down to a drinking session with the intent of at least getting buzzed. Trying to drink moderately when one enjoys the effect is a total waste of time.
It is only a matter of time until the “if a little bit is good, a whole lot is better” rule comes into play. Moderate drinking shifts to heavy drinking, and, especially in men, the “beer belly” appears. While it’s true that alcohol contains empty calories, the beer belly phenomena is a result of liver damage and a condition called portal hypertension.
With heavy drinking, the risk of stroke, pancreatitis, brain damage and cancer increases.

Sayin' farewell to welfare... Knob's got a job.
Congratulations!