View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Emergencies show who really cares

The evac order several streets over has been downgraded so I feel a lot safer. I may just get some sleep tonight.

The special part of this whole ordeal is that I've found a bunch of kind people.

Today, I've lived on one of the social networks. One college classmate and two of my old HS buddies I haven't seen in twenty years offered their homes to me and one classmate offered to help me move my stuff if I needed it. Both he and his wife opened their house to Sis and me, along with our cats. They didn't care that they don't have pets, or that our fur babies may disturb their home. They cared that we have a safe place to sleep for several nights.

My non-addict parent stayed up to read the news because she was worried. When I called three hours after her bedtime she let me know that if we couldn't find a place to stay, her home in AZ was open to all of us, even if our cats might fight with her pets.

People I haven't seen in years and who moved away have been keeping us in their thoughts. Neighbors opened up their homes to watch the local coverage and share my fears. Others simply were there to talk.

Other neighbors have been sharing information and those who did not receive the reverse 911 calls trusted me to knock on their doors to let them know if our street had an evac order. Another woman who worked with Law Enforcement explained it was okay to sleep and described the entire procedure including bull horns if we had an evac order.

Its been a long two days and it won't end tonight but I've learned who really cares. That includes this forum. Thank you.