View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
joinedintime

DG - sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hopefully it's controllable for you. I didn't know much about it, but a quick trip to Wikipedia via Google, as usual, gives a good synopsis. Also found this quote:

"I have never, ever seen an alcoholic who wasn't hypoglycemic. It just doesn't occur, it's the same problem." Dr. Douglas M. Baird, HSF Medical Director, author of The Blood Sugar Hotline

Don't know if that's what most all of the experts say

Philly,

Searching on Hypoglycemis vs. Diabetes turned up this:

Hypoglycemia occurs in people who have consistently low blood sugar levels. This is caused by an over active pancreas, one which secretes too much insulin. They will have to eat 6 small meals a day in order to keep blood sugar levels up and monitor blood sugar via a glucometer.

Diabetes Type I is someone whose pancreas is failing to produce ANY insulin at all. They require insulin injections or they can get the insulin via an insulin pump. They also must monitor insulin levels via a glucometer.

Diabetes Type II is someone whose pancreas is still producing insulin but not enough to regulate blood sugar levels. They typically manage the disease via diet control and or oral medication. They must also monitor blood sugar levels, but not as tightly as someone who is Insulin dependent.