View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
shockozulu
Reach Out and Touch Faith

One of the reasons I chose a Secular Recovery was the ability to deal with the "elephant in the room" while learning techniques that helped me in other parts of my life. I found that talking about ways to avoid the use and abuse of my pills was VERY important, especially in my early recovery. It also helped me live a life that was not surrounded around using/abusing.

To use one of the examples from the WFS statements:
3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.

Happiness is created, not waited for.
Until I learned what happiness is, and that to achieve it I don't have to turn to a pill bottle, I was as far from recovery as one can get. Until I learned how to substitute behaviors that lead to abusing, my life was focused on using, wanting to use or simply feeling stagnant when I had cravings.

Let me give an example. I used to be in fear to turn on my MP3 player. If my mind wandered, it would wander to drug abuse. It wasn't until I learned to deal with this fact of my addiction that I was able to get these feelings under control. Now I have a brand new CD on my player and I can listen without fear. The music brings me pure happiness and enjoyment.