Thread: Anti AA?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Asherah

Question Anti AA?

Hi all!

I was thinking of attending my first AA meeting on Thursday, although I have been sober now for over a year now, and have never been. I have reservations about the emphasis on a "Higher Power" in the 12 steps. I was pleased to find that I have done some on my own without even knowing it. I am not an atheist, just think that God or my higher power did not get me into this mess. I only pray for the health of others, have prayed for my own health and sobriety, but prefer to do it alone. The AA meeting is scheduled at a church and I have read some really interesting/disturbing viewpoints of anti-AA types. I have also looked into SOS, RR, and MM (which the latter is not for me.) I am limited in Las Vegas (wonder why to just AA it seems. I also forgot that this website has been a fantastic resource and comfort to me as well. So, I would love some viewpoints from you all on what I should do. I have a great support system already, my parents for one (father sober for 30 years and mother who is not a fan of the bottle because of this . I had a doctor tell me that I would surely not succeed if I didn't go to AA, I think I've been doing just fine, but that is still an echo in my mind it seems. He is an arrogant man, so I just chalked it up to him not looking hard enough into my situation. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I would love to hear of any good/bad experiences with AA. Thanks you guys, and as always, keep an open mind and a closed bottle!