View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ananda

wow Daisy...glad you posted.

I am an alchoholic and addict. I also have a brother, father (now dead), several cousins and son and a WHOLE bunch of friends who are alchohlic/addicts.

I have not chosen to ex these people out of my life. I am willing and I beleive capable of loving and enjoying these relationships.

I struggle with some of the hatred of addicts and alchoholics that i hear, even when it is coated with the disease is what we hate not the person. My disease is part of who i am..it isn't controling me at the moment, but it may at times.

I am not a different personn from who i was before i got sober...any more than anyone else is a different person from who they were 2 years ago, cause of course we are all always changing.

My son and i share a home. He is an alchoholic..curently binge drinker...still active in his alchoholism. We enjoy each other on a regular basis, have fights like many mom and kids do, and we have some guidlines that we are fairly consistant at following for when he is drinking.

Most people seem to be horrified by the choices I have made in living with my son in his addiction, but honestly other than the fact that I have issues with wanting to people please and therefore worry about what other people think...i am content to happy 95% of the time with our relationship. The 5% i am not...well there isn't any violence...and if that changes then the relationship may have to change as well.

It's totally my son's probelm if he gets sober or not. Yes his life effects me, that is true drunk, sober, in or out of my house.

If a person has the disease of alchoholism/addiction...it will always be true that they may drink or use again...it's just the way it is. But jeeeez....the wonderful joy and happiness that i have found in my friendships with alchoholics and addicts in and out of recovery! I intend to continue to reap the wonders of opening my heart to others...I've exed people out of my life before on the basis of one aspect of them that they had no control over and it didn't work out very well for me. I am hesitant to go down that road again.