View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
jimhere

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Seeing the world through rose colored glasses is often healthier than not. However, I also read a study that depressed people are MORE in touch with reality. I have told myself I am better off choosing the most positive belief - when I don't know for sure - but this would be like someone ignoring their portfolio in September, 2008. At some point, a person must acknowledge reality for what it's worth. And this is why I post in the secular forum!

Katie, it's nice to see you back. Actually, I do live in a place where there is rain and mold. I live in Western Washington.

I am no pollyanna. In fact I get accused of being too serious all the time, when in fact I am a realist. I was asked here if I've ever told someone that they are in denial, and I replied that as a matter of fact, I have. To not acknowledge one's present reality and to hide behind platitudes and cliches while dying of alcoholism is denial. Of course, as you have pointed out, that state of mind can apply to any situation in life. Several years ago, I went through a period of what you might call depression. It caused me to question everything I believed at the time. In fact it was a time of dis-illusionment which was necessary. I couldn't pretend I was OK when I wasn't. I.m actually grateful for that time because I made peace with life the way it is and with myself the way I am.

On the other hand, I am a fairly optimistic person. I believe that there is always hope and that everything eventually comes out in the wash and works together for the good.

Anyway my two-bits. I won't intrude on you all's forum any more.
Jim

Last edited by jimhere; 05-02-2009 at 09:12 PM.