Old 05-01-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sweets79
To thine own self be true

Originally Posted by DigitalDreamz View Post
Hi everyone, feeling good today, Another sober and clean day here in the Pacific Northwest!! anyway, I am currently in a outpatient program and my counselor asked me an interesting question last night.

"What do you believe you must do this recovery attempt to remain in recovery"

Well for me it is staying focused on my recovery, my recovery comes first, If I lose my sobriety I lose everything, If I relapse and start using again I will lose the trust and support that my family offers, they will lose all faith in me. and in the long run I will either end up in jail again, or possibly overdose.

So what must you do to remain in recovery?

Hope to hear some good replies!!

Take care everybody!!

Make it--Don't Fake it

I believe to make this recovery attempt work, I have to block out any outside forces that are confusing/depressing/upsetting/irritating me...In other words block out all the triggers that would provoke the feelings inside me that I can't deal with now, hence turning to the bottle...That's just me...I let other people affect me ALOT...I know theres something in me also that makes me drink, and in time I will learn more about myself and why I chose to drink instead of detaching myself from certain situations and caring enough about myself to not poison my body. I've been drinking for 5 years now, and I will keep reminding myself that if I kept going at this rate, it would just get worse and worse...Sometimes I would drink all day long, and when your tolerance builds up, you just need more and more...I would probably end up homeless, not even being able to function in day to day living, maintaining a job, and I wouldn't be able to go back to school to make a career for myself..I have alot of work to do...and also to stay away from drinking and maintain sobriety (which hasn't been long) I have to focus totally on myself, and not let others actions have power over my willingness to quit drinking. MUCH easier said then done, but I'm giving it a whirl lol