Old 05-01-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I don't count days but 4 months seems like a VERY long time to me.
This is kind of the point of a sponsor/mentor. It gets me away from having to stumble around in the dark and hope I bump into something that keeps me sober. I stumbled around for a few years until I followed what someone else did. Then I recovered.

I sympathize with wanting to go it alone and find your own way. I really do. I've was a prideful, independent guy while I was drinking, and I still am in sobriety. But if it's not working, it might be worth taking some guidance from those in whom the problem has been solved. Somewhere the pain of living like I was seemed too great to hang onto the desire to do things my way.

It's funny, Eroica. I read you criticizing what others do to get and stay sober. You may react strongly to what I'm saying, but I mean no ill will. This stuff is life or death for me, and it's no game. I can't afford to hang onto the way I want to do things if they prevent me from staying sober. And I'm not advocating any particular brand of recovery. I am advocating following what someone else does that works. It's pretty arrogant of me to think that I know what does and doesn't work if nothing has worked. Maybe the pain will get great enough to be willing to follow someone else. That's what it took for me, but it sure wasn't fun.

I'm aware that this post may seem insulting to you or others. I'm taking that risk because I'd like to see you get better. It's a joyful life beyond my expectations of it. I didn't get my old life back, I got a life far better. I'd like to see you and every other addict have that also. It's just that the path to get there may require following a path that someone else has already taken. They can help you find it and stay on it. Best of luck to you.