Thread: Zoloft 50mg
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rediscovering

Originally Posted by warrens View Post
Boy was I wrong. At his urging, I began to take 50 mg of zoloft (get the generic sertraline)/day. Seemed to help. But I'd go off it during summers (I was a school principal).By the time school resumed I was a mess.

I followed that regime until recently. About 6 months ago I began to have crushing anxiety (not really depression). It was not situational. I was (and am) completely rational. No fears, nothing irrational, just anxiety that wanted to kill me.

Told my therapist. She said that 50 mg was barely a therapeutic dose. And that Zoloft is the only SSRI that can show real increased effectiveness by upping the dosage.

Well, in order to save my life (I was never suicidal, just incapacitated, which is no life at all), I increased to 150 mg/day. The results have been miraculous. I have virtually no anxiety.

I just found this thread. I was prescribed 50mg of zoloft and the anxiety was incomprehensible. I was not functional and as you described had NO rational reason to feel like I'd been chased by a monster for 5 miles all day long... My doctor suggested upping the dosage but I was terrified after that experience and stopped taking the medication. Can you please elaborate on your experience/knowledge? I'm intruiged by your experience. The first 3 days I took Zoloft I felt like a free person...like myself again..but from day 4 on I couldn't handle the anxiety. After reading your post I'm wondering if maybe I should have stuck with the Zoloft and just increased the dosage...

Thank you for your openness about your situation. You just gave me a springboard towards a solution perhaps