Thread: Studying my DOC
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
You do realize that you are the only one that can determine if you are alcoholic don't you?
Hmmm. I dunno, Jim. I wonder if the message has gotten a little perverted because of it's common usage in popular culture. Even non-alcoholics sort of walk around with the notion that everyone needs to diagnose this for themselves (the first step is admitting you have a problem sort of thing). I know that's what the BB says ("We never pronounce someone as alcoholic"). But, I can look at a person's attempts to control their drinking, their lack of control after that first drink, and I can get a pretty good idea of their physical craving and mental obsession. Even the BB asks us to judge whether or not a prospect is an alcoholic ("If youare satisfied he is a real alcoholic..." Ch. 7). A doctor or counselor has other criteria they apply, but they too can make an fairly accurate assessment.

The problem is, that someone else making the determination just isn't useful. I, or a counselor, can make the most accurate determination in the world, but it just isn't useful to the still suffering alkie. Until they admit to their innermost selves and hold no reservations, our (AA) solution is somewhat closed off. And I think most of the other common solutions are closed off as well. Why do I need a solution if I can just muster up the will power and not drink or use? If I don't have a problem, I don't need a solution.