View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
acer67

Hey there Curious!

That was me 20 years ago too! It started out with teenage partying in which everyone seemed to be on board with me and continued on through the years until I was the only one left making an ass out of myself. I still grapple with the question "am I an alcoholic or not?" because I, like you, can go for a long time without drinking and don't really crave it. However, when I get in one of those "moods" - watch out! Like was stated above - it is not how much alcohol you drink, it is what it does to you when you do! I'm a newbie here and am slowly starting to "get it". I have tried AA and it really is reassuring to talk to people who know where you are coming from. My temporary sponsor said something that really rang true for me yesterday. We were talking about this very thing and I am struggling with it all and she said that I should consider it a gift that I am recognizing the danger signs now before alcoholism progresses any further and I lose everything like she had. I had never really looked at it that way before. I wish I had the sense to talk to someone 20 years ago before it had progessed as far as it had for me but I consider myself very lucky anyway.

Keep coming back!