Thread: Studying my DOC
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
jimhere

Hi Everyone,

allport, you know, I have to be honest, there is something human in me that does like a good argument. Looking around on these forums, it seems I am in good company, LOL!

gneiss, what led me to believe that maybe you aren't alcoholic is that in another post you made a statement to the effect of saying that all drinkers lose control the way an alcoholic does. Maybe I should have said that you don't appear to understand alcoholism from experience. Maybe I made an assumption I shouldn't have made and apologies are in order. If so, please accept them.

Katie, I'll ignore the jabs and consider the source. Being alcoholic isn't a badge of honor, at least not to me. It doesn't make me special or one of the "chosen people," like some AA members believe. It just puts me in with about 10% of the human race that has alcoholism. And believe me, it ain't out there doing pushups. I know where alcoholism lies, it is within and not without. That being said, I've recovered so I don't worry if it's doing pushups in the parking lot or not. I used to do a lot of speed too. Used it to manage alcoholism. When the speed got to be a problem, I quit. Problem solved. That was six years before the end of my drinking. I can take or leave drugs, but not booze. So maybe speed was my drug of choice and booze was my drug of no choice.

And yes I know of your history with AA and of your alcoholism Katie. So you of all the people here should understand that this isn't a game, but a life-and-death affair. Didn't you say a few days ago that you are drinking again? You are not living proof that a drug is a drug is a drug, you are living proof of an alcoholic that can't stop drinking no matter what and if you don't get your head out of your ass you are going to die a slow, horrible, and undignified death. That I know to be true. Make a liar out of me.
Have a good day all.
Jim