Old 04-27-2009, 12:09 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

No, I don't catch snakes. First of all, I am afraid I'd hurt the snake because I'd be worried about it getting away so it could bite me so I might hold its throat too tight or something. Snakes have delicate bones. Second, occasionally you get a snake that does not have the pronounced triangular head so it can be hard to tell if they are venomous... not a mistake I care to make!

Tarantulas don't generally hurt people, the ones we have here aren't even dangerous to humans so no worries there. And snakes are defensive biters. They'd rather just slither off than fight, they will only bite if you mess with them too much. Ticks though... ticks. Yuck. They bite you and suck your blood out. And they can carry Lyme disease, among other unpleasantries.

Snakes are pretty. That copperhead in particular would make a nice wallet.

Oh. Sorry. I really like snakes, I think they're cool critters. Much more concerning to me was that a thunderstorm was rolling in and it was getting dark, I was on a new trail at the 6 mile marker--car nowhere in sight-- and my trail map said it was only 6 miles long. So I had an unknown amount of time before that storm arrived to travel an unknown distance (which turned out to be another mile... the trail guide was off by a full mile). The last almost half mile wound in and out of the woods and across fairly long distances of open grasslands, there was lightning all around, my dog was scared of the thunder, it was raining like crazy with a green sky (an indication of an approaching tornado), and to complete this rather ridiculous situation the girl I was walking with picked that moment to inform me that thunderstorms give her panic attacks. I actually started laughing. I was covering ground FAST to get to my car and I could hear her praying LOUDLY behind me. And instead of feeling bad for her, no offense to anyone's beliefs, I thought, "Gawd I can't stand religious people sometimes." The lightning was amazing, and I could actually feel it a little bit. If you have ever been shocked you know you get a little lightweight feeling from it. I could feel that walking across that field, so I could tell an electric field was building. I've been close to a lightning strike before-- close enough for my hair to stand on end-- and it is a feeling I recognized immediately. By then I could see my car and it was the closest cover, thankfully. What a crazy night.

Last edited by gneiss; 04-27-2009 at 12:32 AM.