Thread: Studying my DOC
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Freepath
Up from the ashes

They find out drugs are kind of fun and now not only are you fighting their desire to have fun but also a perceived lack of credibility on the part of authority figures.
This is one of the most insightful points that I have ever heard about drug use.

May I pose a question? In another thread you talked about defining alcoholism. How could either of you speak of the alcoholic experience when it is apparent that neither of you are alcoholic? No offense meant. Just a question.
If there is some important difference between recovering from drugs and recovering from alcohol, I’d be interested in hearing what it is. I stopped drugs nearly 20 years ago, and I switched all of my addictive behavior to alcohol. It didn’t make my life immeasurably better, I can tell you that.

I think that one of the problems with alcohol and drugs is the way they are portrayed. I don’t want to seem like some kind of uptight, straight laced, goodie two shoes, but addictions are portrayed as being fun, social, and without consequence.

Here are some things that have pis*ed me off:
There was an ad that ran in magazines for cigarettes. The ad shows a group of people white water rafting over some extreme rapids. There is a beautiful girl in the raft with a cigarette in her hand which is also holding an oar.
Recently, there was a movie called Pineapple Express, I think. Midway through this movie, the main characters start smoking marijuana with kids who look like they are in middle school. They portrayed the entire event as being fun and flashed to images of each of the actors laughing.
There is another movie called College. The cover of this flick shows a body lying on the lawn of a dorm with a beer keg on top of him.

So….anyone up for white water rafting? We’ll all be beautiful, young chain-smokers with deft skills in the art of handling rapids!!!
Or perhaps we should head on down to the local middle school and smoke marijuana with the kiddies!!! I’m sure they’ll lead happy, productive lives with such a opportunity!! Maybe we’ll start a new elective! DOPE SHOP! We’ll teach the children how to grow and roll their own!
I know, I know, college is a place where people binge drink. Even the most talented minds are guilty of binge drinking in college, but I have to believe that many people who are going to watch this movie are probably in high school, and many people who dismiss college as a mere drinking opportunity will watch their hopes and dreams disappear as they flunk out of school, and have to make ends meet by getting some minimum wage dead end job all because they didn’t perceive college as the opportunity that it really is.