Old 04-26-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by digderidoo View Post
Then yes it is important to say something.

One thing i learnt early on in sobriety is that i have to face issues i have with people head on. The mad thing is that once it's sorted out the issue isn't half as big as i originally thought. It only gets big if i dwell on it and not sort it out, chances usually are the other person has only given it a little thought.

I never liked confrontation, i would always back down or back off then dwell on it. What i have learnt now is that confrontation is a necessary evil, it has to be done to keep me sober.

Paul
True, and it doesn't even have to be all that bad, as long as one is respectful. The kind of confrontation I refer to is the relationship ending kind of confrontation - when things have just been damaged beyond repair. I hate when that happens. I was told by a "friend" that the only reason she was "friends" with me was because she felt sorry for me. That is a deal-breaker. I don't need anyone's pity.

Well, I must admit I had a great night last night - no confrontation - rather COMMUNICATION! I was able to share my vulnerabilties and it was all good. But then this is a person who does homeless outreach for a living - so he is clearly not all bad. In fact, I've heard stories about what this really means - not to gross anyone out, but can you imagine having to clean someone up - if you know what I mean? This is not something I could do for a living and God Bless the people who are able to do this. I can volunteer, sure, and I have volunteered in a place where odors were powerful, but still...