Old 04-26-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
The definition of alcoholic -

You've got a devil sitting on your shoulder saying "**** it, lets just get drunk. You don't want to worry about all that ****. Get one down your neck and we'll worry about all that other stuff some other time!"

On the other shoulder is your angel. It says -

"I'd have to agree".
I like that, but I'm not sure I agree. It actually works pretty well for my alcohol use: I'd happily drink whatever was available without any conflicting emotion. But I can't extrapolate it to other drug use. I recall exactly one time that I did not feel conflicted about doing meth. The first time I didn't *want* to do it but I thought I'd see what it was like, mostly I was curious. A couple weeks later I tried it again because I was having a pretty major personal crisis and I thought it would keep my mind off of it for a little while, and for a few weeks after that I kept using even though I knew it was a bad idea. And then one evening, after using for about 3 weeks, I realized I couldn't stop. With the exception of that one night when I just wanted to get high and forget the world, I always had my shoulder angel telling me not to do it. But gawd the shoulder devil was a handsome and persuasive fellow.