Thread: Torn
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Before this thread does get closed as it seems to be going that way, i would like to add one thing to it.

Paul, i have got alot from your posts on the brief time i have been here, so i would like to throw my two pence in.

Someone said to me in AA when i was tring to control my drinking, that it may be you need to give it a go. None of us can tell you controlled drinking doesn't work for an alcoholic, it's something we end up proving to ourselves.

If you do carry on drinking and you feel your drinking is getting worse just remember that, and if you do end up proving to yourself that controlled drinking doesn't work then think about quitting.

You may feel now that you're having fun drinking. If i could seperate the nights out with friends of having fun to the other quiet nights in alone with a bottle of wine and some beer then i would. Ultimately for me it was this kind of thinking that you're doing now that made me realise i can't do the nights out with friends without also doing the nights in on my own with drink.

I always cast my mind back to my birthday weekend last year, all i wanted was fun with friends for my birthday. I didn't drink every day after that, but two weeks later my 13 year old son went to the local town with his friends. I had been watching the football with a friend having fun with a bottle of wine and a couple of beers. My son phoned me as he had spent his bus fare home. The normal thing for to do was pick him up. It was only when i was driving home that i realised what i was doing. The harsh reality is that i had spent years driving my children over the drink drive limit and within two weeks of funtime drinking i was doing it again, it was time to stop.

All i can add to this thread is to look for the point in the future when you realise it's time to stop, because an incident maybe not exactly the same as mine, but something will happen and it will stare you in the face.

Paul