Old 04-23-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
digderidoo

Single and dating...does drink get in the way?

One thing that puts me off dating is the other person generally drinks. Does anyone else have a problem with this?

The last girl i dated drank and it was major to me, but didn't mention it, but it did get in the way. It's not that the other person drinks to get drunk, but rather they are just normal drinkers.

I am going out with someone tomorrow night, we've met once got on well so have arranged to go out for a meal, but i know she drinks. Again nothing major, not to get drunk, but i do find it offputting watching someone else drink and wondering whether at some point i will feel tempted to join in.

I wondered how others dealt with this? I am of the opinion to be in recovery is learning how to deal with the outside 'normal' world on their level, so i accept people around me drink. But if i go out with friends i like to drive myself there, not pick anyone up, so if i couldn't handle it i have an 'escape', i can make my excuses and leave, which has happened twice. I obviously can't do this on a date.

Just wondered people's opinions.

Paul