View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
winnie12

In Georgia they dont usually hold kids long. The first arrest they typically get them out in a day - no bonds just into parents hands unless its a felony. Since she's injured the parents may be able to work something else out with the court - they need to talk to the DA and see what can be done. Typically the records are sealed after they complete probation and stay out of trouble. In Ga not all drug and alcohol charges are automatically sealed but the courts try to whenever possible - if they run drug tests then she may be in trouble for anything in her system too. this is all just my state - she'll have a public defender but in Georgia its not the same kind of defense as adults get - i never really got to talk to the public defender before court and they are defending "in the best interest of the child" and not just to get the child off and charges dropped. so like in my son's case it was in his best interest to be locked up then that's what the public defender wanted too. It does help her that you're not pressing charges - the worst in these cases is when another parent pushes it. The cop is probably trying to scare everyone because you cant commit manslaughter if no one dies - the only charges i can think of that would stick would be DUI, driving without a license, and reckless driving - maybe reckless endangerment, might be some kind of charge for taking the car too - it is theft. She's in a lot of trouble but if she goes straight after this she will be okay - if she doesnt then she's in for a lot of trouble. They are going to keep a watch on her for a long time to come.