View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

Getting on Disability is not the answer, Blueberry. If you would truly qualify for Disability, it takes a long, long time to get it. Most people, it takes a few years in all honesty. I wasn't the norm getting mine as fast as I did, but then I have a great deal of chronic, medical illnesses that are getting worse with each day. All of this is documented by my Dr.'s office from monthly visits, blood work every 6 weeks, x-rays, MRI's, . . .It would be extremely difficult for someone your age to get Disability unless you had some very serious issues. Be careful though if you would try to use mental health issues as a reason for disability, custody of your child could be questioned. I'm not saying it would be, it very well could.

I went down to apply for a medical card some time ago and I was told that I couldn't get one because I didn't have any minor children living at home nor was I disabled. Do you have custody of your baby? That alone should guarantee you medical coverage for you and your child. Also, if you go to a regular doctor for your insulin, they will definately have resources available for you to get your diabetic supplies. There are several of my meds that are very expensive, like insulin, and I get them through the drug companies. Ask your Doctor. . . nearly every office can get you help.

I understand when you get out of treatment that jumping right in to a full time job could be overwhelming. But there are other ways to get help without going on Disability. Like I said, the chances of you getting on it are slim to none so please, look into other areas. There is help out there, you just have to do some leg work and make a hell of a lot of phone calls. It's like everything else in life, if you want it, you will find a way. I did.

PM if you would like some more info on getting help. I have been where you are, believe me. I have to take 13 different kinds of medications each day. One of the meds I have to take I give myself by injection twice a month. It is $1,850 an injection. There is no way I could have gotten that, but the drug company furnishes to me for free, they even have it delivered to my home. With a child, being Diabetic and low/no income, you should not have any trouble at all.

God Bless and while inpatient, fight for your life Honey, cause that's what you are doing.

Judy