View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

AA can cause me big problems. There some people in my CBT treatment group at the clinic that share about AA. Sometimes I have to bite my thong when they do. Because I still get intrusive traumatic memories of my past compulsory religious involvement as a child when I hear the AA line. Try as I might I still can't separate AA from religion in my mind. Over time this anger I have has gotten a bit relaxed as long as I limit my exposure to AA. On a rational level I can ease my emotional response somewhat but haven't found any effective way to lessen the intrusive memories that suddenly fire up my emotional state.

Although one thing I found to be of some help is to state my beliefs openly in group soon after my anger response is triggered by those that share their AA experience. I try very hard to be respectful but boldly point out my alternative treatment program in contrast to AA's program. I think it helps me to reinforce my program as I hear it said by me in group. Plus I think it stimulates other group members to share their treatment program. Which many of them work a uniquely personalized program of recovery...ah thank goodness for that .