View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Katie09

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Hey Katie,

Yay! I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying your group!

Yes I would find it annoying if some of the group members were engaging in AA speak and suggesting sponsors. In fact when I was in AA, I used to be bothered by the hardliners. Maybe you could politely mention that you do not use AA. Thing is though, there probably will always be some AA'ers where ever you go and as long as they aren't trying to indoctrinate the group with the 12 steps, since it's CBT try to tune them out. I would think the facilitator would step in if it became too much. He/she has already demonstrated that he/she is hearing it by adding SMART etc.

Like everything in life we have to learn patience and tolerance because we can't always pick and choose who we engage with. I hear ya though.

This is great news that you are enjoying your group. Great therapist too!
Thanks, gerryP. Yes, he is very good and super perceptive, plus I was very upfront before signing up that I did not want to be in a group promoting AA. And I do agree about tolerance, but it's hard. I think I will start to speak up more about my feelings, without infringing or not respecting the fact they've chosen AA. And I have gotten the standard "well, it didn't work for me before but this time it is (with the implication that I should give it a go again). I ended up saying that I am happy that this person found something that is working for him, but I do NOT want anyone suggesting it didn't work "because I didn't work it."